Thursday, May 22, 2014

Olori Wendy Caught Live with Ghanaian Celeb, Majid Michel in SA on Vacation.

First thing I noticed about the Ghanaian Movie Star, Majid Michel is his sense of humor when I first caught up with him during his vacation at freedom park where he was taking shots with the Nelson Mandela Statue and being pleasant with fans.
I was awed by his courtesy and warmth, and went further to get to know him through our exclusive interview Live in South Africa.


How has your vacation been so far?

It has really been incredible, you know I'm from West Africa where it is really hot and usually you would want some chill in the air and South Africa is the perfect place for that.


What has been memorable so far since you arrived?

Everything so far, this is not my first time in South Africa, I have been here two times already years back. I really love the infrastructure, the whole country is organized, you just can't pee on the road, the laws are completely different where we come from, it just keeps me in check basically.


How does it feel being an household name?

That is really good, you have the good and the bad part, the ups and down times, the people make you You basically, they make you who you are. For example when you walk on the street of South Africa, the citizens here call to acknowledge you, then you realize you are an household name but if no one calls you, then you are the average man walking, and you begin to wonder where you have been the whole time, so being an household name is not a bad thing at all. Sometimes you get free stuff in places you go, first class treatment, the attentiveness on you makes you feel like a king. It's a great thing.


Any personal projects fans should expect from you anytime soon?

Well I have done a couple of movies that are going to come out anytime soon, very good ones that will be premiered soon and I usually like to surprise my fans when it comes to that. I don't like them to know what I'm doing next so they are surprised.


What would you say brought you this far? Your looks, your talent or just a stroke of luck?

Well, that's very difficult to explain even though I know that for fifteen years, I've been working with my experience which has been building me up to where I am now and I believe that consistency in what you do and how much you try to perfect it every time that makes you go to the next level.


What are the things people don't know about you?

People usually fall in love with the character they watch you play in movies, they think you are exactly who you play in the film which is a good thing because it means you pulled it out really well for them not to think they were watching a movie, for them to actually think it was real. Occasionally now and then, you meet some fans in town, in the mall, traffic trying to talk to you and then get to know who you really are to see if you are different from what you play. I'm one of the most ordinary guys you can ever meet or come across but it's just the movies that makes us play other people to scare you guys off.


How do you handle over enthusiastic female admirers?

You have to understand the kind of job you are in, you have to understand the reaction of people is natural that way. You have to understand that once you are on TV, you don't have to be an actor, you could be a newsreader, a journalist, anyone on television, you should know that ladies would rush on you because they see you on TV in their houses, in the comfort of their homes regularly, so it is a natural reaction you have to understand the job you are in and how to relate with your fans.


What gives you pleasure when you are not on set?

Being with my family. Taking them out, going to the movies, amusement parks, playing video games, that's what we do, that's what keeps me alive.


What won't you be caught dead doing?

Hmmm, I have no idea !!!, of course I can't kill a man. I can't have permanent tattoos or piercings, they have to be stick ons because I'm an actor. If I have a tattoo as an actor, I can't play different characters. I can have temporary tattoos to play certain roles but having a permanent one is going to limit me because I can't use it for all the movies I'm going to be shooting in life, like if I have to take my top off or  expose my body, I will be stuck and that will stereotype me a bit. I'm going to take a pass on tattoo. If I have to take a character that doesn't need a tattoo, then I will have to cover with make up and go through the hassle of trying to hide it anytime I'm shooting.


What would you like to explore in South Africa?

The weather is so cold so it will be impossible to go and swim in Sun City. I wanted to visit Cape town to see the views and all that but then I'm not sure I can make it on this trip because time is a bit limited. I have other plans to do around here, Johannesburg, Pretoria, maybe Cape Town will be on the next trip.

No comments: