Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Globacom Ambassador, Sammy Okposo releases his hidden secret of his success.


In a cozy lounge in the South-South Region, where he hails from, tall, dark and powerful singer, Sammy Okposo, discloses a lot about his life to Olori Wendy on a bright morning.  


Why gospel music when you are very versatile artiste?

Well for me gospel music is something I grew up with, in a family where my dad, my mum, siblings, the only thing I hear when I wake up in the morning, in the car, in the church, is gospel music so that can of influenced the brand of music I became used to so even when I became older, when I could choose my own arrangement, I just could not deviate because gospel music was just embedded in my DNA so I became used to it and I enjoy it.
 

Has it been fulfilling? 

Yes it has been, I'm the only gospel artiste in the history of Nigeria to be endorsed as a Globacom ambassador. I am the first, I am the only and before me, it has never happened in the history of Nigerian music entertainment so I think I have been able to chart a new course as far as putting gospel music on the mainstream.


What is the secret of your relevance in the music industry ? 

The secret of my relevance is basically because I am always doing my best to be aware of what is going on around me musically and I move with the time. I'm not one of those artistes that are defined, not aligning to the vibe that is making people tick at the moment. Regardless of my genre I believe good music is good music and if people are enjoying a particular kind of music at a particular time, every artiste who wants to be relevant to that time must key in so I always do my best to understand what is going on around me, key in and make sure that my sound is relevant to what is happening at that time.


Your song "Sing Your Praise (SYP)" is nice and sounds like Kcee's " I wanna see your face ". did his music inspire you?

No, not really, basically with music melodies fly around, inspiration fly around, like in the movies,you can see two script writers come up with the same story and basically the treatment is different, maybe the name of the characters are different but by the time you sit and watch the movie, you will know that they are both trying to talk about the same thing but are from different angles, so fine face is one song that I really love, I really really love it so in the process of when I was working on SYP, I came across that melody, and I'm like well I'm not going to allow my creative melody to go to sleep because there is one song that has a similar melody. If you listen to SYP and Fine Face, where there is that similarity is around the chorus, and by the time we get into the verse and instrumental, everything is totally different so this happens in creative arenas where a melody can just slide in here and you find it in another song.
 

What are you up to music wise? 

Well right now, I'm promoting SYP and my two other singles and I'm getting ready for the video of SYP which is going to be coming out probably by the end of march, by God's grace that video is going to hit you. 


What do you do besides music?

Well everything I do is related to entertainment, I run my own label, Zama Entertainment. I have my own events management company. We do sound reinforcement, music production, equipment installation, hiring, video, editing and production outfit. 


What makes a successful artiste?

What makes a successful artiste is basically understanding the entertainment industry is very dynamic, it changes by the minute, for you to remain on the ladder of success, you have to be able to be flexible enough to move with the flow, change with the time, and remain relevant in your chosen genre.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just love this man, heard his latest song, very inspiring

Anonymous said...

SYP is full of emotions, and fills my spirit.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the video, I hope it is watchable cos most gospel artistes don't spend money on good videos

Anonymous said...

It's not money, but concept but Sammy is a big artiste and so sure he ll do justice to the video of SYP

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the video, the song is great, proud of him

Anonymous said...

Great in making gospel artistes proud with his ambassadorship

Anonymous said...

Truely, the song needs more awareness but guess the video will do all that.

Anonymous said...

With the video out there, there will be more awareness about the song

Anonymous said...

Being an ambassador of a brand now a privilege hmmmm

Anonymous said...

Nice interview from wendy. Great to know how Sammy is keeping up

Anonymous said...

Expecting more from Sammy this year