Sunday, October 16, 2016

Otunba Oluyinka Waheed Shares His US Experience As An Otunba In Diaspora


Most Nigerians in diaspora are known to embrace their food, language, attires and culture, however one of such is Otunba Oluyinka Waheed Nurudeen, an outstanding personality, who though accepts the cosmopolitan culture he is living in, yet has not neglected his traditional roots as displayed by his lifestyle in the American system.
As much as he enjoys his urban world, he finds every opportunity to showcase the glamour of his root.
In an interview with Olori Wendy in California, US, he shared his life and vision as an Otunba in the US.


What is your duty as Otunba in the US?

My duty as an Otunba in the US is to promote the YORUBA culture here, which I have been performing to the best of my ability, for example through my clothing, accessories and lifestyle.


You said you are the first person to be made an Otunba in the US, how was it achieved ?

Actually I am the first Egba man (ABEOKUTA ) to be made an Otunba in the US but not first person as an Otunba generally.
It was achieved through a friend that connected me with the King.


What are the benefits you have had so far since being appointed as Otunba?



Some of the benefits so far since I was made an Otunba is that it has connected me to top personalities both in Nigeria and USA. For example, I have made an acquaintance of the Ooni of Ile Ife, Otunba Gani Adams, Victor Olatoye, CEO of AFRICAN OSCARS(NAFCA AWARDS ), QUEEN OF BEVERLY HILLS, Munni Irone etc.



Has there been any negative actions or issues since you became an Otunba?

Nothing really negative but the issues I have is being unable to actualize some positive projects I'm planning to embark on.
Without money, nothing can be done. As a matter of fact, I need Sponsorship.



What business or career are you into, does it affect your job in any way?

I am Mechanical Techician with Autonation Ford in Torrance California.
Being an Otunba has not affected my job due to my work schedule.
I balance my work and private life and all is running smoothly.
I work 8am to 6pm daily, so I have time for myself when I'm off duty.



How is the international community receiving and perceiving you?

By God's grace I was and still being received by the international community positively.
They perceive me as a positive person and a role model for Nigerians in the US, and I can tell through their inviting me for their creme de la creme events



An Otunba is supposed to have a wife as the Yoruba tradition permits, is there any woman playing the role of your wife?

Let's keep our fingers crossed, Yeye Otunba is in the making.



Are you well received by Nigerians in the US?

Well we all know Nigeria is comprised of three tribes, HAUSA, IGBO AND YORUBA.
I am already received by the IGBO community, while still looking forward to meet the HAUSA community and I am acquainted with the YORUBA community.



What projects do you intend to achieve using your position as an Otunba in the US?

I am working on bringing Oodua Peoples Union to Los Angeles, California through the leadership of Otunba Gani Adams.



What would you like people to know about you?

I want people to know that I am not in competition with anybody. I also want them to let them to put God First as that is the secret of my success.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good representation as a Nigerian

Anonymous said...

Proud of you as an Egba Otunba. Keep it up

Unknown said...

It was nice interviewing you Otunba. You are so full of life and grace. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

People like you make us proud as Nigerians in diaspora. God is your strength