Friday, August 19, 2016

Healing After Cancer

Some stories are worth sharing after reading or hearing about them, the way they touch you will also give others hope when they read or hear about it as you never know who will have a turning point through that story.
The killer disease cancer has consumed so many people, destroyed thousands of life and yet no medical power has been able to destroy it. However, as there are few who have won the battle against all odds through a supernatural power through faith, who knows who next that power will work for.
This story was shared through my whatsapp Overcomers Bible Study Group, and I hope it helps someone out there, as silver and gold I have none, but this is what I have to share. 


By Mark Anthony Banks

I have always said and believed that life is dark. It has nothing to do with fairness. Life is a black man with long legs living in some slum in Kenya or Zimbabwe. 
Author of countless best sellers Dean Koontz opined that life is what happens while we wait for our appointment with the mortician.
Yesterday, I had a burial to attend in Uke. Some tiny village in Anambraa state. It was the burial of Chief Innocent Ofojee the CEO of Pierre Cardin West Africa. Now, I left where I was for Onitsha. On my way, my phone beeped, it was a message from my mother. She said that I should come home quickly that my younger brother was going to meet with a woman who wants to start a cargo business and wants my brother to be involved. Mother wanted me present in their discussion for many reasons. 
My brother and this woman met in his work place. He serves as a lobby host in one of the eateries in Shoprite Onitsha. The day he met this woman, he felt fulfilled because of the character he displayed that earned him that woman’s respect. They exchanged numbers and next thing the business was underway. 
*******************************
Last week, I asked my brother what the position of the business was and if he has heard from his prospective business partner. Then, a shocker came. “Junior she has cancer” he said. My heart caved in, my ears tingled. Cancer is a synonym to death but I held on for the woman In my heart. The hunger to pray for her was eating me up already like ulcer. I am not a religious kinda person but I pray for people and God answers. My earnest desire was to pray for that woman.
Yesterday, as I got to onitsha to prepare for the burial, my brother called me. I picked “Junior junior! I have been in that woman’s house and she is having crisis at the moment please can you come to Leeds Hospital?”
In this life of mine, I have seen cancer take my dad’s bosom friend, I have seen cancer walk into a family and go with them in dribs and drabs, I have seen cancer steal the flesh of a chubby woman until a bag of bone is remaining. I have seen cancer!
After the call, I was torn between two decisions. I had a man I needed to block in that burial, I needed to see how this man would be buried. But then, I thought that woman needed my prayers. I washed up, left for Leeds hospital. 
Getting there, I called my brother to direct me to where they were and he came out. I looked on his face as he walked towards me. I saw frustration and pain on his face but not death. I knew she was still alive. 
We walked into the hospital and I saw the woman.
Now, this is what cancer does to somebody. It gives you a new face , it burns every fat you’ve got even the one you need, it hold your energy for you, it makes you frail, it makes you many things except fine and good looking.
I saw the woman and my heart broke into three. Two of the three began to die with her, the other one held on and kept praying for her life. I didn’t talk because she doesn’t know me yet, I watched from the sidelines as she gnashed her teeth and tried to swallow pain. I watched.
The hospital people refused to admit her because she had nobody to stay with her. This woman is fifty. She had nobody to stay with her. The doctor said “you will be a disturbance to the nurses and everybody around” It took me a while before I understood what the doctor said. 
I felt for that doctor. Oh, the nurses are not meant to be disturbed okwia? They came for vacation in the hospital abi sightseeing? That was when I heard the sick woman’s voice for the first time.
She said with her American accent ( she has lived outside Nigeria for the past 35 years) “ I cant take this shit no more. Take me home. I wanna die in my house. I’ve got a house I bought 25 milllion. I wanna die there. I cant die in this godamn dirty place. Take me home!”
The strength in her voice was growing weak after every word she said. I looked at the nurses and they were talking under their breath. They looked at her as though she was shit. Wicked people! 
Let me tell you something about wickedness. It smells. It oozes terribly, that’s the reason you see wicked people scrunching their noses and faces.
I saw wickedness plastered on the faces of those nitwits of nurses. Once again, I got tired of Nigeria. 
I will tell you a little about this woman but wait….
We drove to her house and getting there, she began to cry, she became overly negative and positivity irked her to the highest maximum. The lawyer that drove us there was telling her nice things about God and healing and the woman raised her head and said “I don’t give a shit about your God. Why did he keep me in this condition…” she kept saying “I wanna die” when we said we would come today, she smiled and said “If I wake up alive but I feel I am gonna die. I am tired of this shit called life”



**************************************************
Now, sitting directly before that woman eyeballing her was actually all I needed to be happy yesterday. I wasn’t asking much yea. 
I asked her many questions which she answered in all sincerity. This woman has been through thick and thin. 
She has been working for Lufthansa since 1999. She has lived in over eight countries; she speaks French, German, Spanish and English.
The nature of her job didn’t really give her time. She has been flying from one country to the other. I saw all her passports from day one. I looked at her and she said “You cannot have multiple visas if you are not Anne”
Her first marriage was a German man. He called yesterday and I spoke with him she said he is pure German, blonde hair, blue eyed… They divorced because she wanted a child and he said no. he didn’t want to father colored kids. She looked at me and said “But he wanted to fcuk a black woman”
The second was with a Canadian guy at the embassy. She left because the dude was a heroin god. She said he took drugs like water. She said “I be Nigerian, we no dey like all those things” She left. 
After she studied psychology in Germany, she came back to Nigeria. In her words “I came to find love”
This woman had money! 
They first man she met, Mr David from Calabar was younger than her and she loved him and told him about her assets and worth. She said “My dear that was the turning point”
She was forty five when they got married. The dude was a gold digger. He said he wanted them to go to Europe that he hates Nigeria. The woman was startled at the sudden want to go to Europe. She opted to build an European kinda house in Nigeria for him but he refused. 
That bastard of a man told her how much he needed for a trip to Europe. She had the connections, she made calls and her friend advised her to send the guy to Dubai as a test to see if he will come back.
Now, she had gone to test earlier and found out she was pregnant. Surprised she was. Happily, she told the man and he sparked. He said it was impossible because of her age. He told her to abort it because it might be an imbecile in there. She said to me “I rather be the mother of an imbecile than the mother of nobody”
The man began to beat her with the aim of giving her a miscarriage. The woman flew to South Africa and stayed there until she gave birth. 
She named her son OXYGEN. I asked her yesterday “why did you give him that as a name” her response made some tear escape my eyes.
She said “he is the air I breathe. When my hope of being a mother was gone, he came to give me peace. He is my breath and I live for him”
She came back to Nigeria with him and settled in Asaba. The father of her son went to Dubai and never called, never asked what was up and didn’t give a fig. 
She had no love, she said “money isn’t everything son. The money was there, the visas were there, I have slept in the biggest hotels in this world, I have drank champagnes worth millions, I have flown first class. But I haven’t had love”
In her quest for love, another renegade came her way. Listen, I told her yesterday that it was her desperation that led to many happenstances. She laughed and said thanks.
The next dude was igbo. She told me “I can never trust any igbo in my life again. I rather trust the devil.”
My igbo brother came and saw money and became deliberately silly. Once again, another gold digger.
When she fell in love with him, they planned a wedding, a costly one. She said it was gonna be her last because he looked like real love. 
That guy kidnapped her son with some people and demanded ransom three times. He pretended he knew nothing about the kidnaps until she found out. His call log and sms. Because her son was all she got, she paid 3 million each time her son got missing. Later, she wrote to the state police and they gave her tinted glass permit for her son. 
Nine million wasn’t enough for the man, he began to target her life so he will inherit all her properties. He demanded the papers for the bungalow in Lekki and her three cars. The woman told him that her son was still alive.
After she bought the house for 25million in 33 Onitsha, the guy became a big boy. Carrying women upandan and spending another womans money on them. How shameful!
The last straw that put a full stop to their marriage was what the dude did. He duped her 16 million in the beginning of this year. 
When he heard she had cancer, he went and mixed poison and told her to drink it that it was herbs. The woman refused and drank it once when she experienced serious pains and she began to feel weird. She went to the hospital and tested positive for poison. 
She called the police and they helped her chase the man out of her house..




***********************************************
Scratch these stories people. 
This is what many women face in many places of this world. They suffer in the hands of devils who parade themselves as men. She told me that people have offered to kill the man for her but she looked me in the eyes and said “I can’t make life. I shouldn’t take life”
Yesterday, her sons school management came and took her son from her because she couldn’t take care of him again due to her health challenges. She told me “I have no husband, I have no oxygen, I have cancer, I have frustrations son!”
My heart broke again, I could hardly breathe. Her friends from around the world were calling and she was telling them to take care of her son for her.
She looked at me “Find me buyers. I wanna liquidate my three cars and this godamn house. I wanna die and go to hell”
When I mistakenly asked her if she had visited any church for prayers, she looked at me and said “Nigerians are modafuckers. Even their pastors.” I knew that already but I didn’t know where she was coming from. She told me that she went to Assemblies of God for prayers and when the prayer warriors were praying for her, her phone rang and she opened her eyes to pick it up but the pastor refused saying that they were in the middle of a prayer. When they continued the prayer, the phone rang again. She said she knew when the phone was taken out of the room. After the prayers, she took her phone and looked at her log and the call was taken. It was her friend in the US Mrs. Donna. She called her back and the woman asked her the man who picked up her call. She said it was a pastor where she went for healing. The woman told her that the pastor sent her his account number saying that the prayers and everything will cost 50 thousand every month. The pastor even had the gut to send her his account number.
I was shocked. When she looked at me again, she told me that she studied psychology in Germany and she feels I was doubting her. She sent my brother to her room and told him to bring one box. When the box came, she opened it and started showing me all the receipts to everything she had told me even the money she paid to her ex husbands kidnapper friends. The papers to all her properties where all there. She said I should call that pastor with my number and ask him how much prayer costs per month for cancer people. I called and he said 70 thousand.
She looked at me and said, “Things are hard, pastors get harder”. 
After she bought my trust by showing me those papers, I took her to her sitting room where she lighted a cigar and began to smoke. I told her “Ma’am you have liver cancer and you smoking?” she said “I am gonna die anyway”
I let her smoke that stick, she picked another and I let her light it. One or two drags, I told her to put off the fire. She was scared. I repeated “put off that fire before I say what I want to say” she refuted “please son. This is the last stick, I wanna finish it” I refused until she obeyed me.
I went closer to her and said “Cancer sneaked into your body. It is a visitor and not a shareholder in your body. It is time you open the door of your body and let that cancer leave your body” I continued “I’m not pleading with the cancer, I am saying it has to go right now”
She was startled. I watched unbelief and negativity take their various leaves. The room held its breath. Silence prevailed. 
We prayed and she looked me in the eye and I told her “you’re not gonna die”
She smiled and said “I hope so”
I hugged her and I left for my house.
On the way, I had a rethink about life. 
Someone who has traveled far and wide.
One who has connections.
One who has money and properties but doesn’t have a full happiness. Not even a slim one…
I concluded that life was an improper fraction. Every fraction of your life can never be proper. Some must be improper.
I came back home and was happy. I have no money in my pocket and in my account right now but I am happy because I have touched a life. I feel fulfilled. This is like a grammy to me. A battle I won and will still win.
God bless Mrs Anne and give her Grace.
Amen.

No comments: