Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Exclusive interview with young and beautiful British-Nigerian stunning singer, Mya K

Mya K


When I was first contacted to meet the young and talented singer, I wondered what it would feel like conversing with a twelve years old.
However, I was taken aback by her deep sense of maturity and sunesis as she fired up about her life and music.



Is Mya K your real name?

Well its part of my name. My full name is Mya Kinlock. The "k" comes from Kinlock, my surname.


What compelled you to start singing at such an early age?

Ever since I was born, I've always loved music and, I've always listened to music. I guess that even before I was born my parents were very musical so that's something that got into me, and at the age of two I started training and doing lots of stage schools for music and then at the age of ten I started as an artiste.


Are any of your parents into music?

Well both of my parents used to play the piano and after I was born I kinda got in the way of the that, they kind of didn't carry on with that but before they were wonderful at the piano.


Do you play any instrument?


Well I'm starting to learn the piano and I can play the recorder as well.


Any memories of wanting music passionately or was it your parents' decision considering you started at two?

I think it was an easy decision for me because whenever I came home from school or kindergarten or wherever, I always turn on the music channel and so It was something that was kind of natural for me.


Being young, are you ever shy on stage?


Well I think normally I'm not shy, there's a few occasions where I get the butterflies but because I love it so much I'm so confident performing for people because that's the main reason I love singing because I get to entertain people.


What kind of music do you do?


I love listening to Pop and RnB, and I sing that but now I'm sort of moving into Afro Pop as I'm based in Africa and want to add the African style to my music


What do you sing about ?

When I write my own songs which I've done in the past, I write love songs though I've got no experience. I write songs that relate to people or give thanks to people, appreciating people, telling them I love them like my song "My DJ" giving thanks to all the DJs in the world.


What are your most memorable stage experiences?

I think the Calabar Canival in Nigeria, 2011 and 2012 were both the most stuck in my brain experience. I was thrilled, seeing all these people looking at me, listening to my music
I performed Live once with a band at one of the Calabar carnivals.


How do you feel performing on stage with older artistes?


Well I think they are very welcoming, because if you first hear my name and know I'm twelve years old, you might be a bit taken aback but when they meet me and realize I'm not just in this for a game that it's something I'm doing as a career, they treat me professionally and I feel okay with it. I might be a bit intimidated but it's cool.


Is there much difference performing in Nigeria versus UK?

Because my father is British and my mum is Nigerian, I schooled in England so I used to do stage school things in England and I have performed with the West End with my performing school. I have also performed at varieties of workshops.
Well the truth is that when I'm on stage I don't feel the same because I'm not like a normal school girl, I'm a completely different person. I'm not really aware of my surroundings because I'm fired up with the music.


Your music so far, album plans?

I'm creating my first album, it is in the works right now, So far I have recorded thirteen songs and eight of them have come out officially. I have made six music videos, one which was shot in Johannesburg, SA "My Dj". Definitely, we wanna do more music videos but not very very now, we wanna do in the near future.
We are still drafting ideas for what the name could be for the album title. But definitely we will have a lot of collaborations with African artistes and stars that people relate to, so that I can show people that I can do more African style.


How do you combine schooling and music, is there ever any clash?


I'm in year seven. Well I'm abroad in England but whenever I come home on holiday or have free time I always dash to Nigeria or another country to do what I love to do. I love school, I love performing. I'm very comfortable with what I'm trying to juggle.


Do your school mates relate to you as a star or like any other normal student?

Well I think that definitely the first time, I was kinda like a shock to everyone cos I told one of my friends and it spread to like the whole school so it's a bit hectic but now everyone accepts me and it is something that they are living with quite fine.
They relate with me as a normal girl though sometimes they are like they saw me in a music video. They still see me as a normal school girl.


Who writes your songs?

My first three songs "I will survive", "superstar", and " utmost charity", I wrote them by myself and a few things were co--written by my producer, but the rest of songs I've co written with MYA K team. My group is called the MYA K team.


Which producers have you worked with or going to work with on your forth coming album?

I have worked with three producers, one from the UK, called Craig, but that was just a taste of rap music because I love listening to rap music so I was kind of introduced to how to rap and what it sounds like on records but that's nothing that has been published.
 Then I have worked with Beautiful Sounds who is also from the UK but a Nigerian guy, he has produced a lot of my music. But currently I'm working with Very Sounds who is based in Nigeria.


Is music all you ever want to do, or is there any other career path you will like to take?


Definitely, at one point in my career, but I'm not sure, I will definitely have a break, I definitely love to teach Spanish because I love languages, I love learning different things. I think teaching Spanish will be my second. Vola!! *laughs*
I can't speak Spanish at the moment but will learn since I'll love to teach the language.


What kind of fashion appeals to you, have you built your own clothing taste or your parents/manager decide for you?


My management team have come up with an image for Mya K because I need to be someone people always recognize me as soon as they see me, they are like yeah that's Mya K look, but because I'm still young, I'm still a child, I have a very vibrant colorful look. As you can see I'm wearing yellow jeans, I have very exciting looks, I don't have a clothing line but I have got a child-like look.


What is Team Mya K about?

Team Mya K is everyone that is putting effort to make me who I am at the moment. Everyone that has helped to chip in even if it is just a small amount and they join the team and so they are kind of the big Mya K family.
They are my manager, my producers, my promoters all around not just in Nigeria but South Africa as well, Directors, Àrtistes that I've worked with, people that I've done photo shoots with and the list goes on.
For now my mum is my manager, mumager *laughs*, and she's the one because I'm still young, I'm still new to the industry and so I need someone I know I can trust a hundred percent.


Any disagreements with her (mum)sometimes?

Even if I wasn't in the industry it will still be the normal thing for a child to do and sometimes we do disagree but it always works out really well. Even if I'm wearing something I don't wanna wear, I end up looking wow !!, real good.


Do you have a boyfriend?


No, I have never had one. I go to a girls school anyway so I don't have the opportunity and well, I'm not thinking that it's not something that bothers me.


Has Music be financially beneficiary to you?

I think everything has gone smoothly so far, I haven't been in the industry for too long so we haven't come to the point where there has been very hard bunks so everything financially is going smooth right now.


What's your view on the child marriage saga in Nigeria?


I've seen a lot of adverts on youtube that sponsors music videos about it and I thirnk that is something I'm definitely I'm in for and I really wanna be able to be one of the people that fight against it because to me I don't think I wanna be married now. I'm twelve years old. I just imagine what's it like for a six years old, like the age of my younger sister to get married. I don't think it is right. I'm against it.


Being Half British, Half Nigerian, what do you love most about the Nigeria Culture?


In Nigeria, my favorite food is Okro soup or Afam soup cos I have a wonderful aunt in my house that can cook it like superb.
In UK there's nothing really interesting about the food there *laughs*
I also love the music industry in Africa 'cos its very cool, it's very energetic and exactly what I love to fit in to. I love to dance and I have been told I can dance.


Words to fans?


I'm very hyper, once you get to know me, I'm very crazy and I love to talk, I love to get to know new people. I love to have lots of different friends from all over the world so I'd  love to meet lots of South African people. I love South Africa its like a second home to me.
I'm Mya K, I'm a normal girl so don't be afraid to approach me.
Thanks for listening to my music, playing my songs, videos, thanks everyone...

Click here to watch i'll survive by Mya k

Click here to watch Mr DJ by Mya K

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely girl

Anonymous said...

Proud of her parents supporting her career at an early age

Anonymous said...

Get More Infoour website this pageBonuses this contentsee page

dateceth said...

you can try here reference More Info hop over to this website try these out click for info