Wednesday, June 7, 2017

What Happened To Shimi (Underwear)?


Growing up in the 80s and 90s, you can't dress up without wearing underclothing that was popularly called Shimi. As kids, it's like a taboo not wearing your Shimi before your main outfit.
My mum's Shimi then used to be black or white but she also had some nude colors which I hated but later learnt to love.

Personally as a kid, my idea of foundation garments wasn't sexy, infact it was stressful for me putting it on as it usually got in my way and caused a lot of wardrobe malfunctions, as it would protrude beneath my skirts or gown, and it was quite embarrassing having to adjust it in public.

I guess I never had the right size and most Shimi then were free sizes. As I grew older, I would trim it short but it never solved the problem as most times, it was either too short it can't offer protection for my transparent outfit.
It was also annoying to see them pop out of the shoulders and one had to keep it in place beneath one's upper body.

In schools then, some teachers would humiliate students checking to see if they wore underwear and if it is clean, heaven help those who never wore or had dirty Shimi, as they will be beaten up as if they committed a major crime.

Personal I can't recall when I stopped wearing Shimi, but it was something I couldn't wait to put out of my wardrobe. I apparently didn't see them as sexy enough to wear beneath my outfits, and to make matters worse Nigeria is a hot and humid environment so it was easier to blame it on the weather for it's rejection .

But then, fashion then wasn't what it is now. I was watching an old movie and saw an actress wear undergarment in the movie and I looked it up online and saw some very sexy ones.

Whao !!! Those underwear lingerie are back. What my childhood eyes saw as ugly, my adult eyes behold them sexy. Now they looked more like negligee, those I've always loved and now designers are bringing them back in more appealing and desirable shapes and styles.

In fact they are even more expensive than the main clothing these days making one wonder if they are more important than the outfits people see.

However, Shimis trended yester years because was important for women to cover up especially when their clothing were transparent. It was embarrassing for one's bra and pant to show beneath the clothing. Infact those who don't wear undergarments were seen as slutty those days and looked down upon so it was basically a shameful thing not to wear any. So mothers ensured their daughters got into the culture of dressing up properly to avoid being shamed.

One of the benefits of shimi for young girls is that it protects them from period stains as most teenagers didn't know how to calculate when their period is coming or manage it's heaviness when it comes. So before the main clothing is affected, the underwear takes the hit.

But some still wear it as it is important to wear it for traditional outfits like lace and some see through dresses. All in all.

Shimis are great for cover up and wherever they are, I for one want it back in a sexy and fitted way.

Nevertheless, Times like this,  we need a different music to motivate us so I present to you
Dipo Ft Gboof
https://youtu.be/Ks8uPOu--Yk

Follow on instagram @diposings
@oloriwendytunes

No comments: