Friday, May 19, 2017

After Fading Off In Nigeria, Gospel Rapper, Lekan Skillz Reappears In South Africa

Music never fades away, and for those who choose it as a career, they can't truly retire. No matter how long the break might be, the sounds and beats will always lure them back to the studio or live in stage.

Unique Gospel rapper,  Lekan Skillz who is over 6 feet tall waltzed off the entertainment scene for almost ten years, is now back to business, and he is ready to storm the airwaves with his new music ministrations.

Lekan Skillz was one of the Nigerian pioneers of Gospel rap and he flows with passion for Christ,  ministering through rap music with Christian lyrics.
He recently relocated to South Africa and shares his come back plans with Olori Wendy for the world to welcome.


You have been in the music industry for quite a while, how long is that?  And why the silence for several years?

I have been in the music industry since 1997. I have been silent for a while because I took some time out to work and raise capital but now I am fully back. However, during my break I was singing and working with some churches in Nigeria so I wasn't totally off the scene per se.     


Why did u choose Gospel rap instead of going secular? 

I chose Gospel Rap because it is a calling and a ministry,  so secular music isn't what I'm meant to do.


You got married years ago,  did it affect your career, was that one of the reasons you were mute musically for a long time?

Yea, marriage is like a career on it's own but it is much more easier when you have a very understanding partner. But I am into modeling too.



You recently relocated to south Africa, what are you currently doing there?

I moved to South Africa to study and improve myself musically. I am currently working and studying there.  


You are recording new songs, what should fans and music lovers expect from this.

Yes I am recording new songs so fan and Gospel lovers should anticipate new sounds and international standards from my music.


As you are kind of making a come back, how do you see the music Industry now compared to when you started years ago

A lot has really changed and so much has improved. These days, artists are doing a lot more better music now and great videos



What's the difference between Nigeria and South Africa in your own views? 

Wow!!!! To be honest with you, Nigerian artists are really trying but technically speaking South Africa is a lot better.


What would you like changed in the Gospel music industry?

The gospel industry needs to wake up and embrace the improvement and technology in the industry now.
Your plans for 2017?
My plans for this year is to let the world know what the Lord is bringing out through music. There is a lot about my music that I really wanna share with the world this year and I am so ready
Also I am still in search of a Spirit Filled church to settle down with here in South Africa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview. God bless you

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool dude. Welcome back

Anonymous said...

God will crown your efforts, skills baba