Saturday, July 30, 2016

Beautiful Talented Singer, Tiwa Shares The Reason For Leaving Secular Music To Being A Gospel Artiste

Few days ago, beautiful and talented singer, Tiwa Banks who has been in the industry for over 15 years but in the secular genre decided to change her vibes to glorify God through her music. 
After declaring on social media her new music status, Tiwa shared with Olori Wendy, the story of her life and music, for people to know the purpose of her action.
             
        

You shared a message on social media that you are now switching from secular to Gospel music, was the decision on impulse or you have been contemplating it for a long time?


Actually switching back to gospel music isn't an issue I should contemplate on but I just didn't know how to go about it. Each time people would minister to me and say God said you should switch to using your talent for His kingdom's glory. I just didn't have the strength to and disobedience almost made me lost everything.

Now let me share how it started with everyone.
When I was much younger, after writing my common entrance examinations, on the day we were to check our result  I heard that almost everyone I knew had seen their names and they all passed even those I was better than academically. So when it was my turn to check mine, my name was ommited even the teacher there couldnt believe that, we searched over again and after sometimes she gave up and told me to go back home that I should accept my fate but to me it was like I've lost something precious which is "time" and felt there must be one way to get it back. 

I went back home,locked myself in the room, went on my knees and said God I don't have anything but if you help me fix this I'LL USE MY TALENT FOR YOU!. 
That was it, I went back the following day with the faith that I will see my name. I went in and there it was, so i ran out joyfully, and the journey of fulfilling my vow started. 

It wasn't a problem using my talent for God as I have been in choir before age of 8. So I was in the choir till I got to the Secondary School class, I started listening more to hiphop, became addicted to Rythm and blues and see some of these Artiste as my role models and wanted to be like them but my vow was holding me back. 
Immediately after my secondary school in 1998, I and three of my friends started a girl group and we were going about singing in churches, that was where I met a young man who introduced me to a popular secular fuji Singer, Abass Akande Obesere, He was amazed when he heard my voice and advised that I go with them to their shows even though I was there as a featured hiphop artiste in year 2000. 
He drop the album and I performed with him at bigger events, then a whole lot of other fuji artistes started inviting me to come sing in their album too but then knowing I don't have the backing of God for the job I pulled out, went back to school and gospel music back. 
I released a few singles that was aired in early 2000's which inclulded the cover of shackless by Mary Mary. I did the yoruba version. 
Switch back all of a sudden in late 2006 or there about justifying myself with the fact that I still use my talent for God in church. Had a change of name, drop a single that was accepted and activities took me away fom church then I lost my peace. I was always restless, anxious and unhappy. 

Knowing I had to retrace my steps back but I just didn't have the courage to boldly switch back till last week monday 25th of July 2015 when I reminisce about His wonderful acts towards me despite of my unfaithful towards him.

                                  
    
In what ways do you think the decision will affect your music career?

I really don't think it will affect me as long as I have the Holy Spirit here, lols... sure I might loose a lot of friends but what's the point having them and lacking the inner peace of God in my life? 
If they were with me and I feel insecure and restless then chosed to be a friend of God, found my lost inner peace and they wanna go then it means I don't really need whoever leaves in my life. #smiles

What has people's views on your decision been like? 

It has been wow, after my post, calls started coming in, prayers, messages and I replied till three days after and I was amazed. Only had few people who told me they are not happy with it and kept mute about it even the one I'm dating. But I'm good because my mind is made up.

What are your plans for your new music genre. How soon do you intend releasing your first Gospel song?

I'm waiting on the Holy Spirit to lead me because I really don't want to minister in flesh so I'm still looking up to him for guidance, although a lot of poeple have been calling that they want to hear from me so I might just drop a wedding song I have titled alter call in a week or two.
  
   
                            
Has anyone or people been supportive about your decision, and willing to help your music as a gospel artiste?
  
Like I said earlier, a whole lot of people supported me and two days ago I recieved a call that got me rolling and rolling for the Holy Spirit, lolzz... My sister it is good to obey the voice of the Lord.

What should fans expect from you?

They should expect more of songs that glorify our most High God and bring His presence down.
 
                     
   

What would you miss most in your secular life and music? 

Everything I should miss I've had enough of. I don't drink nor smoke and those great secular singers I couldn't help listening to, God wil help me out soon because there are even better singers in the church than in the world.

Who is the new you?  

The new me smiles more now, I don't feel like my world image or anything was stolen anymore. Quick to forgive and happier that I have a friend who knows it all. 
I am a single lady not searching because that's not my role because the Bible said "He who finds a wife found a good thing", so mine is to wait on the Lord while he does the search ... lolz ( hope you won't say I've started preaching) smiles.
  
                              
   
How are you faring after all the terrible phrase you went through being stabbed by your landlord's son, the accident etc.. What has that experience taught you?

Those experience and the scars actually made me a better person today. First and foremost I now realize that beauty is not everything in life bcause anything can happen at anytime. it is who you are inside that really matters. 
It is good to look good on the outside but even better to be extremely beautiful on the inside for I would have died of shock at the hospital when someone came to where I was lying before the scar on my cheek was stitched and screamed, I just told myself "keep calm girl there's more to me than facial beauty". 
So even if the beauty is now contorted that it makes people scream, no one can take my inner beauty away but to my supprise when I first saw the scar days later, I only sighed and said glory be to God. So the whole scenario thought me to be more humble and to trust in God much more than friends. For most of them are foes in disguise.

           
   
Nevertheless, I would like to seize this opportunity to say that this world is all vanity. I was with a very close person for weeks last month at the hospital and then I realized that this world is borrowed. 
For most people I saw there at their last moment had an expression of regrets on their faces. While some bit their fingers, some try as hard as they could to make out a speech and some only shed tears. 

Please let's reconcile with God while we still have the chance to, because everything we are running after will be left behind someday, and if we must miss anything in life, let us not miss that glorious place, for no one knows when, how and where his or her own cock shall crow. 
So let's live our lives inline with God and May He be our help even when our faith fails. Amen.


No comments: