Thursday, June 27, 2013

A memorable interview with Nigerian born, SA based popular saxophonist Ayo Solanke





Ayo Solanke
Being a jazz lover, I was fortunate to be invited to a Jazz night, where Nigerian born, SA based popular saxophonist Ayo Solanke was performing his Live Gig. Having heard but never met the musician earlier, I was impressed by his performance and surprised myself dancing to the melodious and flawless tunes.
    Appreciating his music, I had no choice than to chat with him to know further about his world of music..
Beautiful performance at your Winnies, Wendywood Gig!, fantastic band !! What is unique about your band? ...

First of all I would like to say that I don't just have a band but I've got a team.
The most unique thing about my team is that we are family.
I've known and have been working with some the guys for as long as 6 years so we watch each other's back as a family, respect each other and do our job excellently as professionals
Llewelyn George plays the Piano, keyboards and back up Vocals
Eddie Steyn handles the Bass Guitar and back up Vocals
Leeroy Sauls Drums and back up Vocals
Bongiwe Silinda is the Lead and back up vocalist
I, Ayo Solanke is in charge of Saxophones and I'm a dancer, lol !!.


How long do you have to rehearse for each show? What does rehearsals entail?

Rehearsals time and schedule are not always fixed as it depends on the nature of the performance but I would say we spend between two to five rehearsals of at least four to eight hours to prepare
The real task of rehearsals is the repertoire (song selection) which as I mentioned earlier; depends on the occasion, event or venue.
Once we decide on the material needed, we get together, learn the songs as a team, decide how exactly we want it to sound.
However, one thing that has always made the task productive is working from a list, that way we are able to track our progress and build up from there


What kind of jazz artiste are you and why that stream of music?

I am a Jazz and Soul saxophonist with Afro-contemporal influences.
I didn't chose my style or my sound, it chose me.
I found myself drawn to this particular sound and can't seem to be able to resist exploring it more and more. It is the one sound that's most natural to me. So, I didn't choose it, it drew me with it's beauty just as child is drawn to a bird.


You are a Nigerian based in South Africa, why South Africa and not any part of the world? How has the journey been so far in a foreign land? .

I came to South Africa for the first time out of curiosity, to explore and find out what was the success secret of the South African music industry that caused it to be one of the most organized in the African continent and also to learn from the people and hopefully integrate some of those things in my music.

However, the journey like every one has been filled with every emotion of life you can imagine; there's been great days, good days, normal days and challenging days but in all, it's been a character building experience. I came here with the expectation of meeting, working with and associating with the best and my experience has been nothing short of that.


Do you feel fulfilled doing what you do and where you are now, is there something else you would have done besides playing the Sax?


My best days are those days when I'm on stage and playing with everything inside of me like it's going to be my last one, and the more like it is when I'm done playing to have someone walk up to me and say "You touched my heart tonight" for me, that is a good reason to be alive. To realize that the sound I've been blessed with is reaching out to lift up someone else up is much more fulfilling than anything else. So, yes I am happy I am doing what I do and I looking forward to an even greater life doing this on a bigger platform, touching more lives and giving people hope through my sound and life.
Another verse of me is about to unfold, this will be the crowning chapter of the chapters of my life. I am bringing more than just music to the table. Stay tuned,lol

I would have been an Engineer, specialize in creating new things and solving the most difficult problems. Besides, I've always loved improvising in the absence of the right tools or equipment. For example, I once put out the fire from a burning car by whipping it  with three branches and realized afterwards that some of it got onto my skin. I love solving problems.


What are you presently up to?

I'm presently finalizing my debut album and it is sounding great.
The project started in Nigeria and it is being concluded here in South Africa so, we've got the best of both worlds on one album. I'm excited about the outcome so far and I know that people will LOVE it!


Where has music taken you?

I've had the opportunity of being to places like Australia, Figi Island, Dubai, Swaziland through the favor of my maker on my music and I believe there's more to come. I've also had the opportunity of working with notable artists and producers such as Hugh Masakela, Judith Sephuma, Ron Kennoly, Jimmy Dludlu, Asa, Recorded and worked with Cobhams, Wole Oni.
I've played on several festivals such as the Cape Town Jazz festival, Standard bank Joy of Jazz, Macufe Jazz festival.
    I have also been on TV shows such as Gospel Classics, featured on a Christmas edition of the One Gospel In-Concert just to mention a few.
Add caption


What's your most memorable performance?


One day in UNILAG Main Auditorium at a Concert organized by TREMN I played so well because the sound was so good that at some point it felt like my feet was going off the floor almost as if I was flying in the air or as if my spirit was going to jump out of me and fly around the room, it was an experience I will never forget in my life.
Another day I will never forget was in Benin, when I went to play for a conference and the power of God was all over the place such that people could not control themselves anymore for hours as I played some things that day that I couldn't even understand, that was a great honor

On the other hand, an embarrassing one was the day I went play at YABATECH
I was invited up, I spoke to th people and when it was time to play, my sax wasn't working. One of the screws had fallen off and it would have been a disaster but luckily enough there was another saxophonist at the same program so he allowed me to use his sax. It was not the same but it could have been worse if the other sax wasn't there and since that day, I try to spend an hour before going on stage to check and make sure my sax is in perfect shape

Inspirational words to share ?

All that I am and all that I will ever be I owe to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is the real one working behind the scene.

Challenges and trials do not come to punish us but to polish us but our attitude during a challenging situation will determine the outcome, if our attitude is good and positive we emerge as winners but if it's poor, filled with murmuring and complaints we miss out on the goodness contained in the test. So, no matter what comes your way always remember the end will always be better than the beginning.
Thank you

4 comments:

Abayomi said...

I​​​ neva get disappointed at the quality of news on here. Kudos to u Wendy, keep it up !

Bode said...

Ayo Solanke! Is he in anyway related to the great Solanke e used to know in our childhood days?that great story teller on NTA channel 10 in the 90s

Anonymous said...

I don't know, he should be in the best position to answer himself. Mr Ayo, please tell us.

Anonymous said...

I heard he is a very good saxophonist, that he plays very well..